Friday, January 20, 2012

Faith: Mark, Moving and Mustard (Character Trait #6)

This week I've been reading Timothy Keller's Book King's Cross: The Story of the World in the Life of Jesus. In chapter 10, Keller references Mark 9:20-24. A man, desiring desperately for his son to be healed of being hurt and tormented by a demon, begs Jesus to heal his son, "if he can." 

Jesus, the Son of God in which all things were created and by which all things hold together. Jesus, the savior of a dying world; a savior that goes on to conquer sin, death and satan himself. Jesus, who walked on water and transformed the world in just 33 short years of life and transformed eternity forever. That Jesus. Of course, this Jesus is able.

But somewhere in this man's heart, doubt crept in. In a desperate plea he calls out "I do believe...help me overcome my unbelief." Keller says that the father is basically saying "I'm not faithful, I'm riddled with doubts...but help me."

Keller then says something that also sticks out to me from Yeakley's chapter on faith:
"We don't need perfect righteousness, just repentent helplessness, to access the presence of God." (Keller)
"The amount of Faith does not determine whether God answers our prayers, for it is the object of our faith, God himself, who determines the outcome." (Yeakley).  

Basically, Yeakley and Keller are both saying its not about how big my faith is, but how reliable and sure is the one my faith is in. Its not about if my faith is as tiny as a mustard seed or as great as a mountain. What matters is the faithfulness of the one my faith is in, that is Jesus Christ.

Yeakley also describes faith as a muscle. The more we exercise it, the more it grows as we see God's faithfulness. I think of all the people from Hebrews 11, specifically Abraham in this.

Abraham, "obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." (Heb 11:8) I can only imagine that Abraham had doubts, fears, what ifs and a desire to make a back-up plan or go out and a the very least, buy a proverbial GPS. Or better yet, not move. Stay with what he knew. But he didn't. He believed God was faithful, so he walked. He packed up the wife, the camels, and the tent and he left. Why? Because he trusted, not himself, but the Faithful one.

I talked to a friend today, who, like Abraham, did just this. After almost a year of job-hunting with no leads, they made a decision to trust God and move. Her newly bar-certified law graduate husband and her made a decision to trust God and move accross country to where job opportunites may become available for her them. They obeyed, and went, even though they didn't know where they were going. Technically,, they did know the location. But they didn't know what would happen. Still don't. Will he get the job he's been waiting for? Or will there be a different opportunity? Will they find community like they had in their city before? Will they have as great of an impact on the homeless or on other people that they loved helping in the big city? But as these friends trust God for a job. they are excercising and acting not based on logic or fear, but based on the character and the promises of God.

God, the promise fulfiller. God, the creator of their lives, who knows what each of their days held before birth. God, the one who loves them enough to give them not only his only Son for their ransom, but graciously, everything else. God, the one who owns the cattle on a thousand hills and wants to richly lavish his love on his children. That God. He of course, can meet the needs of this couple. As well as fulfill his promises to them.

And they exercised their muscles of faith in a huge way. Its something I marvel at, admire, and respect with the upmost honor. Upon hearing these friends news, I felt like my heart did a little dougie dance at seeing their trust and confidence in the promise giver, not in their abilities. Oh for faith like this! It makes me see moving mountains in the distance.

That is what it means to walk by faith, and not by sight. (2 Cor 5:7)

I pray, that I too, would not stay back out of fear, doubt or lack of understanding, or pride.  But in faith,  I would Walk. Follow. Stand. Look for. Go. And exercise faith out of a trust in the promise giver and fulfiller.

This blog brought to you by French's Yellow Mustard, cause after all, faith as small as a mustard seed, can really move mountains.

1 comment:

  1. He is so faithful....... I love reading your blogs Rach... And Im so thankful for your words.... and it kinda makes me want a camel.... ;)

    ReplyDelete