Tuesday, April 14, 2015

High Dives and Belly Flops: Courageous Commitments

Photo found on https://revlesblog.files.wordpress.com/
One day when I was 6, I slowly climbed a ladder. Rung by rung, I could hear my breathing with every step.  As I looked at the pool water on either side of me, and looked back at the line of people, impatiently waiting for me to go faster, I remember thinking, this is it. This is the day that I step out and stand for all 6 year old girls that we too can be like the big kids and dive off the high dive! 

In my short life, the high dive had always given my little heart a faster beat and  a pang of fear. Only 8 year olds and 10 years olds could jump off the high dive. But 6 year olds? No way! 

But today, on this day at my friends birthday party, I made a commitment. I was going to jump. I wasn't going to back down like last time. I was going to go for it, despite my fear. As I stood on the ledge, I heard my dad coaching me from below and counting. 1…2…(deep breath and shaky knees)..3…JUMP!

And as I hit the water, I swam up and let the smile fill my face! Courage and commitment had won! I made a name for all 6 year old girls! And it sure felt great (despite the fact that my dive was actually a belly flop).

A wimpy woman is fearful to commit and only does things that benefit herself. A strong woman is commited to courageously act on behalf of God and others.

The Prov 7 woman gives a terribly, clear disgusting picture of being a woman that is non-commital and does things to only benefit herself.
  • She uses her looks to manipulate people. 
  • She is dressed immodestly and it says she has crafty intent
  • She was a busybody never slowing down and never taking time to spend with the Lord. 
  • She pursued man rather than pursuing Jesus, and she brought death to her world.
  • She tempts men with her words. 
  • She uses her womanhood to deceive and bring others down.
  • And its says in vs. 27 that Her house is a highway to the grave, leading down to the chambers of death. 
Yikes! I don’t ever want to be known as the woman who’s house leads others to the chamber of death! She is not committing to anything but her own pleasure. She is flaky. She says she will do something and then doesn’t show or doesn’t commit.

God says in Matthew 5:37-“Let your yes be yes and your no be no. 

I see this very much in our society currently. Women are not women of their word. They are not dependable. They say “I might come..I’ll let you know.” 

Why are we so non-commital? I think it has the same roots as what Satan was using to tempt Eve...”What if I miss out?” “What if there is something more?” Even more, I think it really resonates in our fear. Its easier if I control the world around me cause then I won’t get hurt. And in the mean time, you shut out real, meaningful relationships and you only act out of fear.

In the next chapter of Proverbs we see the woman of courage. In contrast to the Proverbs 7 woman, the Proverbs 8 woman is
  • Inviting towards people and men but not taking the role of crafty purser,
  • She takes her stand for what is right, but is not overbearing.
  • She has trustworthy things to say and is a speaker of truth 
  • and it says in verse 15 that she is a helper to Kings. 
  • She detests wickedness. She walks in paths of righteousness.
  • Her instruction is helpful and priceless.
  • Just like the Provbers 31 woman, the Proverbs 8 woman is more precious than Rubies. 
  • And she brings life and hospitality and joy to those around her
Ladies, I wish I could recount to you all the brave women of the Bible that acted on behalf of what was Noble, Right, True.  Rahab, Jesus’ mother Mary, Deborah, Abigail. I also wish I could share countless examples of women I know that live in this way!  Women who have stood up on behalf of God and his purposes, faced their fears with courage, and left a mark on history and lives by their commitments to follow through to honor God.

You will either serve God or you will serve fear. Please, choose today to Serve God! 

What are you afraid of tonight? What is keeping you from serving God and living for his purposes? Can I encourage you to cast off your fear, and courageously step out, take the leap, and  impact others and the world? To have courage to serve God rather than your own desires? To let your yes be yes and your no be no? Commit today to serve God rather than yourself. 

This Blog brought to you to by all the 6 year olds in the world that took the leap off the High Dive, and bore the sting of a belly flop followed by the courageous smile of commitment winning out.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for encouraging me and others to be bold and courageous! And huge props for jumping off the high dive! I'm still too scared to do that!

    ReplyDelete